3.22.2011

Weekend Weakness And Tough Love

The last two weekends I've been cheating badly on my diet. The guilt over my affair with pizza and chocolate is finally setting in. Is it really my fault when the temptation throws itself at me? Should I confess my sin and deal with the consequences? Is it even more terrible that I neglect my body and its desire to be fit and healthy?

Some people say it's O.K. to cheat on the weekends. I can't agree. There are so many other facets in life where if we cheated "only only the weekend" or "only a few times" it would label us monsters. It's not acceptable cheat in a relationship or on a test or take shortcuts at work, so why do so many people feel it's O.K. to cheat on a diet? You're letting down the most important person of all --you!

I need to take this week and repair the relationship between my body and food. I'm really more of an all-or-nothing kind of person, so when I only put in 50% the failure rings in my head relentlessly. I keep going back to that slice of pizza and regretting every deliciously greasy moment. I could have just as easily ordered a salad.

There's also this little vending machine at my office with M&M's in it, and for only a quarter you get a small handful of the chocolaty treat. I have a terrible weakness for that machine and an overabundance of quarters in my purse. I tend to treat myself on extra-stressful evenings in the office, and last week there were quite a few. Maybe I should just empty out my change purse before work? Then when I go hunting like a madwoman for that lone quarter I'll come up empty-handed and be forced to sweat out the cravings. Tough love prevails over gentle weaning. Buck up, chump!

Meanwhile, I did get a great workout this weekend ...moving into a third floor apartment. My body still aches everywhere and it was a slow trek to work on Monday morning, but it does feel pretty awesome to get my muscles moving. I'll be doing the same this coming weekend, except with larger, heavier items. Good times. I'd like to shout out the amazing friends helping us through this journey. You are the greatest people I know, and I promise you plenty of beer! (oh look, now I'm planning out my cheating, oye.)

2 comments:

  1. Yo, how about a shout out to "parents" -LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corona Please!!!!! My muscles hurt too!!

    ReplyDelete