1.12.2012

Tough Mudder F***er In Training


Have you ever held the desire to run for 10 miles through mud, ice cold water, fire and electricity? How about scaling walls and jumping over logs? Or sprinting up a double black diamond slope? I do. And that's only part of what Tough Mudder is all about. It's an obstacle course from hell, and I'm determined to finish that shit.

Unlike my previous attempts/desires at competing, I actually registered for this pain. It costs so much money that I better damn well do it ($155 registration fee!!). So today I'm moving up from just "working out" into "training" mode.

I know I'm definitely in the best physical shape of my entire life right now, but I need to be better. Harder. Faster. Stronger. It's time to pump up the volume on my running distance and endurance. I want to SEE my abs and be able to do a real chin-up by the time April rolls around. I've been working hard at all of the above this past year, and now it's time to work harder.


The thought of circuit training makes me want to vomit. I don't even really know why; I just have this deep-rooted fear of it. I'm going to have to get over myself and start it. My plan is to spend the next month upping the mileage on my sneakers and continue my weight training. I'm going to incorporate a HIIT session at least once a week between the lifting and running. After that I'm going to put a lot more attention on HIIT and circuits. BodyRock.TV is a kickass circuit program that'll make you bleed sweat and tears.

The Tough Mudder website recommends this minimum fitness level:
"At a minimum we recommend that you are running regularly (2+ times a week, working up to 5 miles per run), able to do 15-25 push-ups in a row, able to bang out 6 pull-ups in a row (especially the dudes), and able to swim 50 yards without stopping (although you can skip the water obstacles)."
I'm actually not too far off from those stats! I can't do a solid pull-up yet, but I will.

The drudgery takes place on April 29th in Pennsylvania. Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. jess just keep working you'll get your pull up babe, great job in the gym. we will work on your hiit training just keep focused you'll do great

    ReplyDelete